Ms. Brenda S. Denton - Attorney at Law
Ms. Brenda Denton has been practicing law since 1999. She grew up in Cloquet, MN and attended the University of Minnesota - Duluth from 1984 - 1988. After graduating from UMD with a degree in Political Science, she spent two years in Thailand as a United States Peace Corps volunteer. Brenda then received her Juris Doctorate from Hamline Law School and was admitted to practice law in 1998. While in law school, she interned with Legal Services of NW Minnesota. After law school, Brenda worked as a law clerk for the Honorable James Wilson in Roseau, MN and then began practicing law in 1999 with Legal Services of NW Minnesota in Bemidji. Brenda moved back to Duluth in 2001 where she worked with Legal Aid Services of Northeast Minnesota until she opened her own law office in 2007, bringing with her a diverse array of legal experience.
During her years as a legal aid attorney, Brenda conducted scores of trainings and informational meetings for various local groups in the community on various topics. She has conducted trainings for social workers, domestic violence advocates, law enforcement, religious leaders, housing workers, medical personnel, etc. Brenda also received training in anger management facilitation from the Wilder Foundation and she worked on developing a program in Roseau.
In her current practice at Denton Law Office, Brenda's main focus is on family law. In addition to being a lawyer, Brenda serves in other capacities for her clients including:
- Guardian Ad Litem
- Custody Evaluator
- Early Neutral Evaluator
- Parenting Time Expeditor
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: Brenda has always been an active member in the community.
- Western Area Business and Civic Club, treasurer, 2011 to present
- Duluth-Superior Eco Rotary, member, 2010 to present
- League of Women Voters, 2010 to present
- YWCA, board member, 2010 to 2013
- Professional Women’s Network, member
- Duluth Housing Access Center, board member, September 2006 – 2007
- Duluth Sister Cities Commission, board member, 2005 - 2007
- Morgan Park Community Club, vice president, November 2004 – 2006
- Domestic Abuse Service Center, Minneapolis, MN, March-May 1997
- Homeline (landlord/tenant hotline), 1997
- U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer, Uttaradit, Thailand, 1990-1992
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS: Brenda is also active within the legal community.
- MN State Bar Association Mock Trial Competition, volunteer judge since 2001
- Minnesota Women Lawyer’s Group, Northeast Chapter, member/past vice-chair
- 11th District Bar Association, co-chair of the Family Law Section
- Minnesota State Bar Association, 1998 to present
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Solo Small Firm Council, board member 2008-2013
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Bar Foundation Board, board member 2009-2012
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Family Law Council, board member 2012-present
- Volunteer Attorney Program, board member 2012-present
- North Star Lawyer - MN State Bar Association providing 50+ hours annually of pro bono service. 2013-2014