Brenda Denton accepts cases in Cook, Lake, St. Louis, Carlton, and Pine Counties. Although she has experience in various areas of the law, her main focus is family law. The area of family law can be quite complex and the law often changes. It can be very difficult for people to work their way through the sometimes overwhelming court system and the civil process.
Family law includes areas such as child support, child custody, single parent’s rights, paternity, divorce (dissolution), legal separation, third-party custody, grandparent’s rights, parenting time (visitation), orders for protection (OFPs), harassment restraining orders, motions to move out of state with a minor child, post-decree (order) motions or modifications, and spousal maintenance.
Brenda also accepts cases involving non-family law related legal issues, such as landlord/tenant/housing matters, powers of attorney, and drafting of basic wills. She has argued cases before the Minnesota Court of Appeals and will accept appellate work on a case by case basis.
Depending on the complexity of the case, sometimes an individual can represent themselves. However, Brenda suggests always consulting with an attorney beforehand.
OTHER AREAS OF PRACTICE
In addition to being a lawyer, Brenda offers a variety of other services including:
- Guardian Ad Litem with the State of Minnesota - neutral person appointed by the court to represent the best interests of a child in a court proceeding, whether it be in a custody dispute or child protection matter.
- Custody Evaluator - a person hired by parties in a custody dispute to do a full evaluation of family dynamics and provide a recommendation as to custody and parenting time; this may include a more in depth examination of issues such as mental health, domestic violence, and chemical dependency.
- Early Neutral Evaluator - works with another evaluator to assess the best interests of a child in a custody dispute and provide a recommendation to the parties as to custody.
- Parenting Time Expeditor - a court-appointed professional who helps parents solve their disputes with parenting time or visitation issues.
- Mediator of Family Law or Other Civil Matters - on the Minnesota State Roster of Rule 114 Qualified Neutrals.
Any information in this website is intended for informational purposes only. This should not be considered legal advice. Reviewing this website does not create an attorney/client relationship. Unless we sign a retainer agreement, you are not my client and I am not your attorney. You should contact an attorney with any legal questions.